Because science into life doesn't go

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

nanbanjin

Eoin, Malcom, and David wonder if the OAP home was the best choice of venue

Maybe six-forty, on a rainswept Wednesday evening in August, wasn't the ideal time for a gig, but nanbanjin (meaning: southern barbarians) still played their hearts out.

It's just a shame the audience didn't respond to the energy on the stage. I think I was the most involved audience member with my slight head-banging and hands in pockets.

Anyway, the occasion was more about catching up with Eoin, who was a fellow student on the Celta teacher-training course in Budapest in 2004. And as a big bonus, it just so happened that Greg -- another Celtee -- was acting as manager for the band's tour of England. Apparently, the tour hasn't been so rock-and-roll -- Greg's been supplying fitness lessons rather than hard drugs...

Sarah tries to ignore Greg's fitness instructions. Well, look at the state of him!

Other bands followed Nanbanjin, but none could live up to the quality of the first act. Why they weren't put later in the bill, was a mystery. By nine, there were at least fifty people in the audience.

The next day they played in Bude, Devon -- about a five hour drive away -- after a stopover in Reading for sleep. Seems being in a band means getting well acquainted with roads...

There's no accounting for popular taste

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I am surprised you made it to his gig. Over here Eoin is regarded as some kind of Devil for treating Emma so badly :)
Shit happens.

12:41 AM

 
Blogger Steve said...

I try to ignore hearsay as much as possible. I talked with Eoin about what happened. As always, the truth is more complicated than the headline...When I told him his name was mud in some circles in Budapest, he seemed surprised.

2:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was good to see you the other day - thanks for making it down! i see from young Nick's comment that what you said about me not being the most popular guy in Budapest holds more than a little truth (devil with a capital "D" in the middle of the sentence- ouch!!). I guess I'll have to cross it off my list of possible holiday destinations. ...strange how people with so little information feel free to make such massive character judgements. Nonetheless I hope everyone over there is doing well, or at least OK - say hi from the "Devil man" from me to Vicky, Lee and anyone else you're still in contact with.

10:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eoin was known as the Devil in Oita when I was in Oita too.

11:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home