Because science into life doesn't go

Monday, August 14, 2006

Books Are Evil

So, the package of manuscripts from the States arrived today (my manuscripts, annotated with the clever thoughts of my fellow Clarionites), but of course I was still asleep when the postman called. This meant a trip into town. I got on my bike, focused on the mission in hand, but thinking I'd just stop off at the Oxfam store to see if there's anything new in. (One of the up-sides in living in a town with a vast geriatric population, aside from the easy muggings, is the quantity of second-hand bookshops).

Then I saw the "Everything Half-Price" ticket in the window. I'll buy a couple of books, I thought, and still have plenty of room for the scripts in my backpack.

Didn't happen.

Thirty minutes later I came out with twelve books for a tenner. This is what I bought:

Disgrace - J.M. Coetzee
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein (previously read, but purchased for completeness)
Hyperion - Dan Simmons
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Ghostwritten - David Mitchell
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicler - Haruki Murakami
Regeneration - Pat Barker
Black Holes - Ed. Jerry Pournelle
Enduring Love - Ian McEwan
Dreamsnake - Vonda M. McIntyre
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

I went home happy but manuscript-less.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just get paid in books. Who needs money?

10:36 PM

 
Blogger Relby said...

Hey SG,

Nice selection! I think I've read about half of those and want to pick up the other half myself.

A question: do you get, or have access to, SFX Magazine? I heard they reviewed (in the new issue?) my Buffy book and I can't find it anywhere stateside. If you happen to come across it, lemme know what they had to say (even if they hated it-- don't worry, I can take it)!

Stay cool...

11:21 AM

 
Blogger Sean Manseau said...

Woot! David Mitchell!

12:06 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Rob,

I'll look out for SFX magazine the next time I'm in WHSmith. For what it's worth, I ploughed through your book on the flight home and had a great time.

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah! Who cares what we said, anyway? The books sound lovely and far more important.

6:46 PM

 
Blogger Relby said...

Thanks dude! And I found this for you, you know, for that spec fic story you've been dying to write about New York?

http://tinyurl.com/loyd8

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Spec-fic travel grants?!

Hmm....synopsis: the story is about an up-and-coming writer who gets to hang around with other writer types in various bars and restaurants in NY. Spec. element: he is impervious to the effects of alcohol....

6:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahoo, used book stores! I walked out of Flagstaff's yesterday with five Shirley Jacksons (all recommended) and A Canticle for Leibovitcz. Last week I saved $124 by buying the back-lot parking pass at the university where I work (instead of the very expensive pass for the lot next to my building). Used as an excuse to spend $135 on Amazon, don't even remember what I ordered, but I know I can't wait to get them. I love your list and now I need pretty much all of those too. I'll post my list later today.

1:18 PM

 
Blogger Sze said...

all that for 10 quid? man. regeneration's one of those books i keep meaning to read and never have. i've put you on my links list, btw. hope you don't mind...

2:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home