Because science into life doesn't go

Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Circle of Not So Much Power Anymore

Everyone's gone. Rahul Kanakia's gone. Aimee Poynter's gone. Kelly Link, Steve Berman, and Holly Black have gone. Sean, Felice, Shveta, Alex, and people named Will. They've all gone. BK went ages ago.

I feel like bursting into tears until I realize it's gonna be more comical that melancholy to the other guests in the lobby area. Then I smile. Bittersweet is the word. I want to reflect and enjoy the memories of the last six weeks, but I don't want to get home and be pining for an experience that has ended. The present is too precious to miss. Instead, I'll catalogue (I can't help it) some of my favourite moments:

Playing a group game called "Thing" for the first time and finding I'd picked the Mother-Thing card. Baby-Things were spawned in the night!

Michael Furlong yelling "Go Team Furby" when playing volleyball and annoying the hell out of the other side. And repeatedly falling over on dancefloors, hills, etc

Nancy Kress saying she thought my story might be able to make it into Analog after revision.

Watching Alex and Will A. recite Kelly Link's story "The Cannon" for the Archives book reading. Alex has the most expressive voice I've heard, and it contrasted very effectively with Will's sly queries. Many British pounds will be rolling into the coffers of his AudioBook site shortly.

Chip Delany giving memorable advice about dogs and pushing the envelope.

Reading a manga tale that was as cool as the Ice Hailstorm Attack therein.

Seeing people write outside their usual zones...and succeed. You know who you are!

Beating Toby Buckell at billiards. Toby, as well as being an award winning writer by 21, used to make extra bucks as a pool hustler, so besting him on the (admittedly dodgy) green baize was very satisfying.

The moment the phrase "The writing was very smooth", oft used in the critique circle, tipped from sincere comment to parody.

Ordering Chinese food at 1am and not having to move to collect it. American consumer culture sometimes rocks.

Writing the last word of "Thargus and Brian" and completing six Clarion stories. Much jumping around did ensue...

Watching a five foot three (?), slight, Classical Pianist, take down a six foot six, Delany beard-impersonating, Chewbaca figure.

Seeing Sean Manseau -- weight-lifter, NYC bartender, take-no-shit kinda guy -- dressed like he'd come straight from a horrific 60s gender experiment...and Brad!

Watching BK Dunn, stoic-extraordinaire, pet his AIBO.

Harpers and goatee-beards.

Learning that Role-Playing-Games can be creepy, fun, and dramatic.

Michael Swanwick occasionally NOT being able to make a better title for a piece of work.

Discovering that my fellow Clarionites could write prose AND poetry. And then having the gumption to assemble it.

The last meal in the Owen Cafeteria. I like greasy food, but this place takes the deep-fried, butter-drenched, chocolate-coated biscuit.

Being given "Night of the Cooters" and "Werewolves in their Youth" during my 1-2-1 with Kelly Link. Just one of the countless examples of Kelly's generosity -- thanks for the Brownies, too!

Every time Will L opened his mouth. This man would be a stand-up comic if he wasn't such a good writer. I'm sorry I didn't get to know him better.

Chris Cevasco putting a box on his head for no apparent reason. Doesn't sound funny but this guy makes it hilarious.

Winning Mafia even though Steve Berman started the night-round while one of the Mafioso, Alex, was out the room. Alex walked to his seat while we, the other two Mafia, had our eyes open, and none of the villagers put 2 and 2 together in the morning.

Realizing I can probably sleep less.

Being out of England during another soul-destroying World Cup run.

BTW: Reports of Week 5 and 6 to follow. Keep checking below.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris Cevasco!! Ahaha!! What a great guy. I wonder how many times he changed his mind about wearing the box while assembling it.

I'm 5'2" :)

7:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a picture of Chris Cevasco wearing a box on his head? That would rock, if so.

And if I send you my new story will you look at it? Should be done tonight (I've been saying that for three weeks now).

Stoically,

BK

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

BK - Send that story! You don't even have to ask.

3:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending love and virtual cookies. :) Or lotuses. Take your pick.

3:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BK: I have a few pictures of Chris in a hat. I'll get to uploading them in the next few days.

5:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Box, not hat. Obviously I'm still behind in the sleep department.

5:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot: you mean to say my making you up and clipping a butterfly barrette in your hair to turn you into Stephanie didn't rank among your favorite moments?!

8:14 PM

 
Blogger Crin said...

Get home safe, Steve. (See, I actually use people's names in dialogue!) The circle continues, where ever we are.

11:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

when good things come to an end, you are always left feeling lost. I can tell however, that at the ripe old age of 30 you already have immense maturity and wisdom. As you yourself say, i think you will know how to use this experience and maximise your potential as a writer and but I am sure more importantly as a person. I need to talk to you, so when you have rested and have some spare time, drop me a line.

4:52 AM

 
Blogger Sean Manseau said...

Steve, you big softie. After I arrived home, I got a little misty too. Thanks for the memories.

S

PS. You mentioned something about a list of 70 markets -- could you send that my way? Danke.

8:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home