Because science into life doesn't go

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Despair to A New Hope in 24 Hours

First off, a big congrats to Nye, Livia, and Will who have sold, sold, sold!

So, Wednesday saw me at a low ebb -- completely unrelated to my classmates' successes, of course. Why? I went through all the critiques of my Clarion-written story "Core Temperature" (crap title, I know). Twenty-five annotated manuscripts, whose insights, for some masochistic reason, I decided to transfer to the laptop. Every single issue with the piece flowed through my fingertips, and I realized just how much it sucked. Sucky ending, sucky characterisation, sucky structure, sucky use of the rich environment, sucky psychological relationships, and on and on....a complete re-write was on the cards.

Luckily, after a night's sleep, I choose to salvage what I could. Today I came up with a new scene breakdown and a better handle on the characters. Right now I'm 2300 words in and am feeling much better. It's probably still melodramatic bullshit, but there's no one around to tell me that, so I can indulge in the fantasy that it isn't...also, I found a quiet place to write -- less than a metre from my bed no less!

Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Words: 900

Where the...ahem...magic happens

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I've seen that cloth before. . .looks a bit like a sarong I saw my friend Stephanie wear at a party once. Odd, isn't it?

8:13 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Damn that bitch! Borrowing my clothes....I don't know.

Did you spot the Clarion mug for bonus points?!

5:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I've managed to find your blog again. Now you will be tortured by my silly comments for all eternity!

HAHAHAHA!

1:41 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Felice - The beginning had a decidedly mixed response, the science only worked for the nerds, and some people hated the hick pilot...I know, I know, I'm whining like a child. I can't help it! I'm aiming high!

Aimee - Glad you found my blog. Feel free to prod, stab, and eviscerate as much as you like! I'll be stalking your blog, too. Especially when the wireless broadband arrives on Tues!

4:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Steve, you can do it. I'm also torturing through Clarion story revisions and damn am I whiny about it.

PS I love the Handmaid's Tale, read a borrowed copy about 10 years ago, bought a fresh copy after bush was elected the 2nd time, because I'm afraid, very afraid...

1:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home