Because science into life doesn't go

Saturday, July 21, 2007

New York, New York

. . . located on Fifth Avenue

Some miscellanea I've discovered since my arrival:

NY is a vertical city. The buildings go up and up and up. The thing is there doesn't seem to be as many people at street level as there should be to fill these buildings. Are there lots of empty floors? Or do people live in their offices, only coming out once a week to do a spot of shopping?

Blue-sky thinking? No problem!

There's a pleasing level of individuality in the attitudes, dress-sense, and behavior of the people. New York seems to be a city that embraces differences. A refreshing change from Worthing.

Amongst the hoi-polloi

Sean can lift a staggering amount of weight. I showed up at Sean's Cross-Fit gym a little early and he was still finishing his sets. I think he could beat-up most spec-fic writers no problem.

Gotham City. Home of Super Writer Boy!

Grand Central Station looks smaller than in the movies. Plus there was no frantic chase/tense stand-off with the NYPD, either. Still, it's the plushest station I've seen for a long time.

We have a fugative . . .

Talking of the NYPD, have you seen the police station at Times Square? In an effort to blend in with the neon slashed fronts of all the surrounding buildings, the Times Square police station sign is written in fluorescent flashing pink and blue. I expected the cop from the YMCA song to stroll out at any moment.

Yo, man! Are you listening to me?

Everyone's reading Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling used to be a school-teacher, and now she's probably the biggest-selling author of all-time. So, I'm 50% there . . .

You mean my physics teacher was lying?!

Scientology HQ in NY is near Times Square. Somehow, my rambling walk around the city led me to a woman giving out flyers about Dianetics. Coincidence or spooky mind-control?

Bush ain't popular here.

Cheney/Satan? That could be a pretty kick-ass combo.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember spending a day alone in Manhattan when I was 16.. Great city, a place I would gladly return to for a visit. May be when you are richer than the queen, you can invite me to your upper east-side flat..
Nick

10:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home